Essentials for Developmental Excellence
Essentials for Developmental Excellence is a highly customizable experience designed to support UT staff in meeting their professional development goals. This program is intended for employees seeking to:
- Increase their skills and competencies
- Grow in their current job
- Prepare for the future
The following courses are a prerequisite for this certificate:
Introduction to Professional Development - UTLearn (PN 625) [EID required]
Introduction to Essentials for Developmental Excellence - UTLearn (PN 629) [EID required]
The Essentials for Developmental Excellence curriculum includes five content areas. Each content area encompasses a variety of competencies on which staff may focus. View a list of the competencies and their definitions [opens in a new browser window/tab; UT EID required].
- Honing Your Business Sense – understanding the business of UT
- Utilizing Technology – mastering the tools that support our work
- Getting Things Done – organizing the work
- Navigating the Organization – learning how to work within and change with the organization
- Interacting with People – building relationships with peers, bosses, and customers
You will need to complete 15 experiences to earn this certificate: two in each subject area and five in areas of your choice. You have a variety of options to fulfill these requirements.
- Learn on the job through a developmental experience. This is the best way to master new skills!
- Complete coursework via lynda.com
- Attend a class, workshop, or webinar, on- or off-campus.
- Work with a mentor, or serve as a mentor to someone else.
- Read a book.
After each experience, reflect on what you did, what you learned and how you applied it.
This certificate requires a minimum of one meeting with a career coach in HR, and the submission of a development worksheet and an activities checklist to coach.
These worksheets will be distributed during PN 629 or may be requested via email after that class has been completed. (CareerSmart@austin.utexas.edu).